At least I’m getting in a lot of Midwest thunderstorm action whilst waiting for my life to progress…

I called the Consulate in Chicago, as instructed by my uber impatient recruiter, to inquire about the status of my visa and when they feel like sending my passport back to me. As I expected, they probably won’t be sending my passport out to me until Thursday or Friday. So that means even with overnight shipping I won’t receive it until Monday at the latest.

Cool. So I’ll be a week behind all the other new arrivals at school as I was supposed to leave around the 19th. Of course this shit would happen to me because nothing in my life ever goes as planned. 😦 And, all of this malarkey about my visa and VIN is making me so anxious about how I’ll be treated when I arrive, what kind of impression this is making for me, etc.

Like, I just want to be there already as I should have been FIVE days ago. My contract technically started two days ago. Will I even have an adjustment period after my 18+ hour flight? #rage





There seems to be some miscommunication happening here…

So I applied for my Visa Identification Number (VIN) over four weeks ago and should have had it three-ish weeks ago – that being said, I only received it on Wednesday the 17th. I was told that I was not at fault for this taking place and that for whatever reason my application for VIN was taking ~way~ longer than expected. I was also told that the school that I will be teaching at was aware of this and that I was not to be blamed. So, I ship my actual visa application to the Consulate in Chicago expecting to get it back later than the date that I was originally supposed to leave, today the 19th, and arrive later than planned.

Today I receive an email from my recruiter telling me to call the Consulate and ask them when I’m supposed to be getting my visa back. I, having read the website, know that it states this process takes 5 business days – but I call anyway because that’s what I was told to do. I have a pleasant conversation with a man at the Consulate telling me essentially what I already know and that the person who issues the visas is currently on a business trip and if I need to speak with her to call back on Monday. No big deal.

I get off the phone and  anticipate replying to the recruiter via email. There is a new email from the foreign head teacher at my school stating she is expecting me to arrive at the school on the 22nd, this coming Monday, and issuing instructions on which train to take from my hotel and which stop to get off at. *insert panic mode* I write my email to recruiter relaying the info from the Consulate and telling him of this new email from the teacher at the school saying I don’t know if/how to respond to this as I was already told that the school was aware of my VIN application taking nearly a month to process. So now, just like every other point in this process I sit and wait, mostly annoyed because I feel like I can’t do a whole lot about what is happening, that I’m not getting all the necessary information, and that this whole process kind of actually sucks.